Day 6 – WorkStep Two: Niches for BodyChance Los Angeles (BCLA)



Keep thinking about niches: one small niche for BCLA are teachers, trainees and long term devotees of Alexander Technique – how to look after them?

With Brett I am planning a modular program of study on how to work in activities, groups and with emotional “stuff” in an appropriate Alexandrian way.

I’ve spoken by Skype with Cathy Madden, Tommy Thompson and Eileen Troberman, and they are all on board. Michael Fredericks is over in Ireland, but I have texted him and we talk next week.

Eileen is great in showing teachers how you can add some other activities to your chair and tablework that totally engages your students. Michael and Cathy will speak to teaching a group - rather than teaching an individual – an essential skill in BodyChance’s studio model.

We no longer offer private lessons in Tokyo, except as an “expensive” option. BodyChance runs more like a Yoga studio – 90 minute groups at all times of the day, 6 days a week, book your Self in over the internet.

Tommy Thompson of course covers the emotional stuff – have you seen him work? The guy is amazing, a real gift to our community. His languaging of the work is totally unique – no-one speaks quite like him. It’s quite a trip.

Where’s Jeremy you might ask?

Well, Jeremy doesn’t have a visa to work in USA, and I am not screwing that up. What I will do is offer an online “debriefing” component to the program in a closed Facebook environment for participants. Will the other teachers join me?

How will your business support your niche? Be creative, start generating Alexander Technique “plans” your students would want. Mix your private lessons with groups – it builds your community so people come longer, which brings more ease into your business.

A Lesson About The Power of Niches
Today I received a cry for help from Sara B James – I totally get her frustration. She wrote about her efforts to build her practice:

“In the last two weeks I've worked really really hard, I've met dozens of people that seem interested but then I email them and I don't hear back, I have put up dozens of flyers. I can't even get my friends interested in it. I'm not sure what do to…”

Reply:

Keep re-reading my course, because the answer to your question is there. Who are these people you are talking to? For your "really, really hard" work to yield success, it must be towards people in one community. My guess is these people are all over the place? Then your effort doesn't reinforce itself. By that I mean - you talk to one golfer, you talk to another, then they talk to each other. It starts as 10 in, 1 out; but if you focus on a niche, then it’s 5 in, 5 out. Then it’s 1 in, 10 out and you have it made. All boiled down it means this: find your niche, stick to it like a dog with a bone, and watch your business grow.

TOMORROW: Going on to WorkStep Three – Location. Where will BCLA be?

Your comment will get more feedback if you post it directly to my new FaceBook page at:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Is Dead, Long Live The Blog

A Tale Of Trust and Vulnerability

Day 27 – WorkStep Twelve: Go It Alone, Or Make You A Team?